Preserving the Past, Enriching the Future
Welcome to the Rock Island County Illinois Genealogical Society! The Society was established in 1972 to help preserve and perpetuate members’ ancestral records. Our goal is to help assist members in genealogical research and educate the community on the importance of Rock Island County history.
July 2017 Meeting
Tuesday, July 25th 7:00 pm
“Belgian History in the QC”
Presented by Dr. MaryAn Wherry
Butterworth Library *Note – Different Location*
1105 8th Street, Moline, IL
2016 Obituary Index Online Now
RICIGS has newly compiled the 2016 index of obituaries found in the Rock Island Argus and/or Quad City Times newspapers. The circulation area for both newspapers includes Eastern Iowa, Metro Quad Cities and Western Illinois. To see the index go to the Obituary Index page.
Good News for Iowa Records Research
Effective May 17, 2017, the Iowa Department of Public Health repealed its restrictions on access to vital records held in county courthouses. The open records law now governs local vital records, without improper restrictions.
1. Searches for records need not be made in person. (Courthouse staff may impose search fees if they do the work, and they need not take on “fishing expedition” requests.)
2. Requests for uncertified copies of local vital records need not be made in person.
3. Requests for uncertified copies may be delivered by telephone, by mail, or by email. Copy charges may apply. Some counties — $1; the maximum allowed is $5.
4. People who search in person may use their own cameras to snap photos of local vital records, free of charge.
5. Publication of local vital records is no longer prohibited and punishable.
6. Indexing, web-posting, and distribution of information taken from local vital records is no longer prohibited and punishable.
Lunch and Learn Program
RICIGS provides “Lunch and Learn” discussion sessions to RICIGS MEMBERS ONLY free of charge … a nice perk of membership in our Society! Bring your own sack lunch and questions on the scheduled topic. Emails are sent out to RICIGS members prior to each session for sign up to attend.
Lunch and Learn Schedule:
Friday, September 22, 2017, 11:30 am to 1:00 pm – Topic: RootsMagic
Learn About Genealogy
The Rock Island County Illinois Genealogical Society is sponsoring three genealogy skill-building workshops in 2017! These classes will be held on three different Saturdays! Want to learn more, see the flyer below.
Illinois State Genealogical Society 2017 Webinar Series
Free to the public, one online webinar per month
To see schedule, click here.
ISGS 2017 Fall Conference
Illinois State Genealogical Society Fall Conference
Sponsored By: Illinois State Genealogical Society
Local Host Society: Rock Island County Illinois Genealogical Society
Build Your Family Tree: DNA, Research, and Writing
October 27 & 28, 2017
2nd Thursday of each month
6:00 at Oak Room of Butterworth Center
1105 8th Street, Moline, IL
All members welcome!